Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hellloooo 4 day weekend!! Whoop whoop! I always dread when I work 3 in a row. But then, when I get to enjoy a long weekend afterwards, it's not all that bad. Every morning before I go to work, I pray about the day. I always include in there to have a good patient assignment. That sounds horrible of me, but 12 hours is a looooooong time to have a bad assignment, and 3 days of that. Makes me feel bonkers. Well, God heard my prayers Monday morning because one of my patients was just the sweetest man. We took his breathing tube out on Tuesday. It is always interesting (and sometimes scary) to see what people's personalities are like when they can actually talk. I got lucky this time. This man was so kind. He was one of those people who you could read his mind through his eyes. He was scared. Rightfully so. He is a very sick man. But at the end of 3 days, when you are tired, and hungry and counting down the minutes until night shift shows up.... and somebody grabs your hand to hold, looks you in the eyes and says "I'm going to miss you, thank you" allllllllll the other stuff goes away. My mind has been occupied this morning by that sweet man. He was going to surgery today and I found myself wandering through the aisles of Target and he pops into my head. I wonder how he's doing? Should I call up there? Should I go up there? I stop myself from the latter 2 thoughts. I learned after my first 2 years on the bone marrow transplant unit where I used to work that you have to draw boundaries with these sweet patients. If you don't, you will find yourself heartbroken way too often. I go back to work on Monday; I will find out then how he's doing. And maybe I won't. For his sake, I hope I don't. I hope that he is doing well enough that he was moved out of the ICU by then....

Switching topics. Last night when we got into bed, Kip was studying and I was just scrolling through my sites that I like to look at before I go to sleep. Well, the adoption agency that I found and like so much has a facebook page. So, want to guess what I did for the next hour? I scrolled through all their pictures of happy couples that have adopted precious little ones. I loved reading about the success stories. By the time we were turning out the lights, I was ready to go ahead and email them, asking them to sign us up! But I didn't. Today at Target, I went through the baby aisles. I just like to look at the stuff. Sometimes it makes me sad and sometimes I get excited and have to stop myself from going ahead and buying something cute. Once I put my mind to something, watch out!! Because I don't back down easily. And by easily, that usually means at all. If I were a betting woman, I'd say by the end of next month, I bet we have an adoption profile ;)

Sooooo I had to shift my attention to Lowes instead. We are having to re-do our bathroom. One week after we closed on our house, the shower started leaking into the garage. Let me tell you, it is a good thing I wasn't doing IVF and didn't have an estrogen level of 4000 at that time because I'm pretty sure the entire world would have felt my anger on that one! But, it is what it is and now we will just make it our own. I am currently waiting on the contractor to get here to give me ANOTHER quote. Let me tell you, it ain't cheap! Even though it is an unexpected expense, we don't want to do a half-fast job on it and then have to re-do it AGAIN in a few years

Well folks, that is about all I have for today. Nothing really new. A tornado of thoughts going through my mind, designing a bathroom, wondering about patients, eating delicious tomato sandwiches (and a spicy pepper) grown from my dad's garden and staying inside to beat the heat. The humidity here has been INSANE. For us curly hair girls, that can only mean one thing. Fluff ball. No matter how good your anti-frizz serum is, you get fluffy as the day goes on


No comments:

Post a Comment